Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Reaction to 'Understanding Comics'

I enjoyed the reading, not only because I love comic books and graphic novels, but because the ideas that the author discussed could be applied to graphic design in addition to cartooning or comics. Simplifying an icon to the point where it becomes universal seems to me to be a very important concept in graphic design. I think that finding the most simple, abstracted, universal icon and designing it to fit your uses (graphic design, cartooning, etc.) helps greatly in communicating information effectively. When an icon is more universal, it relates to a larger audience, or communicates and idea more effectively.

    This is something that is hard for me to do because I over complicate things all the time whether it's drawing cartoons or other things unrelated to art. Also, I'm just really bad at drawing cartoons. I make things too specific myself to the point where it is hard for other people to understand. In order to become an effective illustrator, I have to break this. I think that the reading has helped me to understand better, the concept of simplifying images to make them universal.
   The author also talks about how words and art has to work together for it to be effective, another concept that applies to graphic design in addition to comics.
  I liked how the author showed that even though an object or icon can be abstracted almost beyond recognition, people can still relate to it.
  Overall, I think that the reading was helpful in clearly explaining and illustrating these concepts which are very helpful to a graphic artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment