Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Entschuldigen Sie, parlez-vous l'inglese?

Last weekend I took a trip to Geneva, Switzerland and Munich, Germany. The trip was exhausting, but totally worth it. I left for Geneva on Thursday, and arrived at 4 in the morning. The next day we toured the UN headquarters and walked around Geneva a little. The lake was gorgeous and the UN headquarters was very interesting (the bitchy girls who were bored and wouldn't stop talking detracted from the visit however). After that, we toured a chocolate factory. I actually didn't get any chocolate because you can actually by this chocolate in the states. I'm going on a mission to Belgium later to get more chocolate.
After visiting Geneva, we went to Fribourg which was also beautiful. We ate dinner, and visited the historic quarter of the city. Unfortunately I forgot my camera, but it was dark, so they probably wouldn't have come out anyway. What I found interesting was that they spoke French in this area of Switzerland. As it turns out, there are 4 national languages in Switzerland. I studied a little German before I came thinking that I'd be able to at least ask for directions, but I barely know a word of French and I forgot the German that I studied anyway.
We left for the Alps the next day, and took a gondola to the top of the mountain (again, bitchy girls complaining about how there was only one gondola, and how it was not as 'technologically advanced' as Colorado ski resorts, once again detracted from the gondola experience. Luckily I abandoned them in the mountains and enjoyed my time there in peace).
Anyway, the mountains were incredible and we ate a delicious meal on the top of the mountain. I also tried some delicious, but a little girly, beer in the warming hut at the top of the mountain. We left for Munich that afternoon and arrived there around 9.
I spent the day in Munich at Oktoberfest, so I didn't get to see much of the city. Oktoberfest was a blast, and I met a lot of interesting people. I really wanted to get a hat, but I think that I'll hold out until I go to Poland and get one there.

UN conference room

UN building courtyard

Shack at the top of the mountain

Me hanging over a precipice

A little church on the top of the mountain
FEAST!!!

Sketchy corner of Fribourg

Oktoberfest




My next adventure is to Pisa, Siena, or Lucca this weekend. The trains are not that expensive, and Pisa is really close to the coast, so that will be nice. I'm not sure if I'll make it day trips, or if I'll find a hostel there. After that I'm planning on going to Cinque Terre, and Venice for the art biannual. Further in the future is my week long trip to Morocco, which should be the trip of a lifetime. I've also booked tickets to Amsterdam, but I have to work out the details about hostels and such. I have a very busy semester, but it's  going to be awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment