Tuesday, September 13, 2011

More Homework!

As part of my digital illustration class, we took a trip to the Salvatore Ferragamo museum in Florence to view the exhibit. It was a very interesting experience. Shoes as art.
In the exhibit, it showed not only his creations, but exhibited art and artifacts that influenced his designs. It was also pointed out that because he was working in post war Italy, some materials, like leather, were very expensive and difficult to come by because the country was very poor at that time. Because of this problem, Ferragamo had to invent other ways of using more available materials to make his shoes. These materials included kid skin, fish skin, cork, canvas, and raffia. Another thing that I learned was that Ferragamo also invented the stiletto heel.
What interested me about this was how the time in history that Ferragamo was working in influenced his art. How he was working during and after WWII which influenced him to be innovative with his materials. How Futurist art influenced the patterns that he created on his shoes.
One item that I found very interesting was a screen printed scarf which was the first scarf ever made which was meant to be a fashion accessory rather than a practical item.
Another part of the exhibit that I found interesting was a room where examples of Ferragamo's shoes were placed next to historical items which influenced his designs. It is interesting to see how an artist is influenced by their surroundings to create unique pieces of art and how it affects their thought processes while designing their art.
I also want to mention the Futurist films that were on display also. I liked how there was stop motion animation and color used in the film, which was a huge innovation at the time, but a lot of the films I found were really odd and actually made me a little dizzy (which is not hard to do because I have a really weak stomach). I thought that they used color and music in a fun and innovative way to animate an idea or feeling, and I really like stop motion animation.
Overall an inspiring and very fascinating trip.

10 sketches from the museum.

A handout so I can find this place again.
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment